Your Success Is Our Mission

College Transfer FAQs


Why College Transfer?

 BRCC’s transfer degrees generally fulfill the requirements of the first two years at a four-year college. That means you will transfer to a four-year college as a junior, and save thousands of dollars on the cost of your degree, sometimes as much as $20,000.
Students who transfer to four-year colleges after attending community college are more likely to finish their degrees on time, and generally perform better academically than students who start there.

Apply Now

Request Information

Financial Aid

Career Coach Logo


 How do I become a College Transfer student?

The first step to becoming a College Transfer student is to apply online for admission to the College. Visit our How to Apply webpage to find out more information about admission procedures.


Apply Online Now


Can I transfer as a junior to a four-year institution if I graduate with an A.A. or A.S. degree from Blue Ridge Community College?

The short answer is YES! If you earn your Associate in Arts (A.A.) or Associate in Science (A.S.) degree, and meet the admission requirements for North Carolina public universities (and a number of private colleges and universities), then you may enroll as a junior. Those who are interested in a bachelor's degree in engineering should complete the Associate in Engineering (A.E.) degree.


What colleges and universities are considered North Carolina public universities?

Appalachian State University

East Carolina University

Elizabeth City State University

Fayetteville State University

North Carolina A&T State University

North Carolina Central University

North Carolina State University

UNC Asheville

UNC Chapel Hill

UNC Charlotte

UNC Greensboro

UNC Pembroke

UNC Wilmington

UNC School of the Arts

Western Carolina University

Winston-Salem State University

NC School of Science and Mathematics


Do I have to finish my associate degree before I can transfer?

Although we do recommend that College Transfer students complete their degree, students are not required to complete the Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree before they can transfer. Completing the A.A. or A.S degree, with a grade of C or better in each course, satisfies general education requirements at senior institutions in the UNC system. Many BRCC graduates have found greater success than their fellow students who didn't finish when they transfer to four-year institutions, including achieving a higher GPA.


May I take courses that are outside my program of study?

We think it’s a good idea for our college transfer students to complete their degree, but you are not required to do so in order to transfer. Completing one of our college transfer degree options, with a grade of C or better in each course, satisfies general education requirements at four-year institutions in the UNC system. We have found that BRCC graduates who complete their degree have greater success when they transfer to four-year institutions, including achieving a higher GPA. You are welcome to enroll in courses other than those listed on the plan of study. These courses, however, may not transfer to other institutions and may not count toward the number of credit hours required for you to complete the associate degree at BRCC. Also, if you are receiving Federal Financial Aid, courses outside of your plan of study may not qualify for federal student aid. You should consult your counselor, your advisor, or the Financial Aid office before enrolling in courses outside the plan.


Is there financial aid available for College Transfer program students?

Yes. Please check with your counselor, advisor, or the Financial Aid Office for more information


Financial Aid Information


Will I get transfer credit for classes I have taken at other colleges or community colleges?

Possibly. You should have official transcripts from other colleges or community colleges you have attended sent to BRCC. They will be evaluated at BRCC for any applicable transfer credit. See the Transfer to Blue Ridge page for information.