Blue Ridge Community College offers a continuing education program in Phlebotomy. The program schedule and enrollment requirements are outlined on this page.
Healthcare Program Information
Henderson County Registration:
Healthcare classes are held at two locations:
45 Oak Park Drive, Brevard, NC 28712
Transylvania County Registration
Requirements for Registration
Students must have proof of all requirements and payment at registration.
Registration will be limited to 15 persons (first-come, first-serve). A short waiting list may be taken.
- The student must have a current license in Nurse Aide I, II, EKG or Medical Assistant.
- The student must be 18 years old or older.
- The student must provide a copy of current CPR certification.
- The student must provide copy of a high school diploma or high school equivalency diploma.
- Provide proof of medical requirements (see above).
The following identifications are required:
- Signed Social Security Card (cannot be laminated), or letter from Social Security Office.
- Current Driver’s License or government-issued picture ID. Names must match.
About the Program
Phlebotomy technicians draw blood from patients and prepare specimens for testing or storage. They work in hospitals, physicians’ offices, laboratories, clinics and blood banks. If you are seeking a career in the health care field, like working with people, and possess good interpersonal skills, a career as a phlebotomy technician may be for you.
The Phlebotomy program is an intense course of study with 3 phases (class, lab and clinical) that prepares students for technician positions to draw blood from patients and prepare specimens for testing or storage in hospitals, physicians’ offices, laboratories, clinics and blood banks. Content includes the circulatory system, anatomy, physiology, and the phlebotomist role in the health care system. The course also covers procedures and the responsibility and skills required for job acquisition, retention, and advancement.
|September 19 to January 16, 2019||Tu W||8 a.m. to 4 p.m.||Health Sciences Center||HSCB 3036|
Clinical days and times will be announced and will vary.
- To be paid at registration: $352.30 (includes $1.30 accident insurance) payable to Blue Ridge Community College.
- Textbook available at the College Bookstore. Cost varies. Contact the College Bookstore at (828) 694-1720.
- ID Tag: $10 (Available at the College Bookstore.)
- Gray Scrubs: (estimate) $30
- Criminal Background Check and Drug Screening: $66.50 (form available first day of class, cost varies)
Students must have proof of immunization for Rubella, Chicken Pox Titer, recent Two-Step TB Skin test with results (good thru clinical), proof of the first Hepatitis B Inoculation, a current Tetanus, and seasonal flu vaccination before enrolling in the program. A medical form is available for your convenience. Local health departments can provide any or all of the above.
Scheduled days, hours and duration for each clinical experience will vary according to the clinical facility, but must total 90 hours. Clinical hours may start as early as 5 a.m. and end as late as 5 p.m. Students are usually scheduled 6 to 8 hours per day. A variety of facilities are utilized for clinical practicums. Students must have reliable transportation and be able to travel to designated facilities.