Your Success Is Our Mission
question mark graphic

Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions


Do I have to be enrolled full-time to receive my financial aid?
Federal grants may be available for as little as one (1) credit hour, depending on your calculated EFC (estimated family contribution).  Federal loans and state grants require you to be enrolled in at least six (6) credit hours (i.e. half-time).  


What programs or classes are/are not covered by financial aid?
While all Associate Degree programs qualify, some diploma and certificate programs only qualify for a pro-rated amount of financial aid, while some certificate programs do not qualify at all.  In addition, diploma and certificate programs that lead to licensure (cosmetology, esthetics,) fall under federal clock hour rules for financial aid eligibility and disbursement.  For a current list, check with the Financial Aid Office.   Aid does not cover audited classes, continuing education classes (except some for VA purposes only), repeat courses with a grade of ‘C’ or better, credit-by-exam courses, or courses not required in the program of study. 


How do I apply for a student loan?
BRCC provides you with your federal loan eligibility as part of your financial aid package.  If you want to borrow money to attend school, you should complete a Direct Loan Confirmation Form and turn it in to the Financial Aid Office.  You must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours) to qualify.  


When will I receive my refund?
 The first refunds are available ~6-7 weeks into the semester. This allows the College to allow for book charges through the bookstore as well as checking attendance rosters through the 10% point in the semester.  Additional postings usually occur every two weeks.  Aid is posted only when that class has started.  Refunds are sent to students through BankMobile, which allows students to select their preferred method of receiving their refund – a BankMobile Vibe student checking account, direct deposit into their own bank account, or having a paper check mailed to their home address.


What is the impact on my financial aid if I drop a class?
Any changes in your academic status might result in a loss or change in aid awarded.  Check with the Financial Aid Office to see if you owe money back for the current semester, or if you are at risk for loss of financial aid for future semesters.  


What responsibilities come with receiving financial aid?
Students must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), which requires a 2.00 cumulative GPA and a 67% cumulative pass rate (hours earned divided by hours attempted).  Students must complete their program of study within 150% of the credit hours required for the program, and all hours attempted will be counted even if the student changes programs or graduates from one program and starts a new one. 


What if my financial circumstances have changed since last year?
If your financial situation has changed significantly from the previous year, you may complete a Special Circumstances Form and submit it, along with supporting documentation, for consideration to have your aid eligibility re-evaluated.  Examples of circumstances may include loss of job, divorce/separation, large medical bills, etc.


What are education tax credits, deductions and savings plans?
Tax credits, deductions and savings plans can help taxpayers with their expenses for higher education.

2015 Education Credits Information


Contact Us

Financial Aid for Curriculum Students

Kathy Helms
Financial Aid Assistant
(828) 694-1816 

Rob Rhodes

Student Services Coordinator
Transylvania County Campus
(828) 883-2520


Financial Aid Office
Henderson County Campus

180 West Campus Drive
Flat Rock, NC 28731
(828) 694-1816
School Code: 009684

Monday through Thursday,
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Wednesday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.