Environmental Health & Safety Institute (EHSI)
Asheville Buncombe Technical Community College
First Responder Operations Level Spill Response Training
Registration: April 27, 2016
EHSI is excited to announce the dates for our 2016 Safety Leadership Conference to be held at the new Event Center at Asheville Buncombe Technical Community College. We hope you can join us at noon on Wednesday, April 27 in Asheville, NC as we begin a three day event that will include a comprehensive First Responder Operations Level Spill Response training for Community Colleges. This training is intended for college safety officers, maintenance workers, chemistry instructors, lab technicians, and anyone else who might encounter a hazardous materials spill.
EHSI staff are members of the Hazardous Material Training Research Institute (HMTRI) based out of Eastern Iowa Community College. HMTRI promotes worker protection and the maintenance of a clean and safe environment through education and training. Our conference agenda will be based on much of the instructor training we have received from HMTRI and fulfills the requirements outlined in OSHA’s Hazardous Materials First Responder Operations Level Spill Response Standard 1910.120(q)(ii). Attendees will receive their 8 hour certificate in First Responder Operations Level Spill Response.
Attendees will participate in classroom and hands-on activities that will improve their skills in the selection and use of personal protective equipment and spill clean-up equipment. The agenda will also include modules on hazard assessment and the physical and chemical properties of hazardous chemicals. On the last day of the conference, attendees will have the opportunity to take part in a series of hands-on spill cleanup scenarios involving incidents that are most likely to occur on Community College campuses.
There is no cost to attend however seating is limited so please reserve your spot as soon as possible. Seats may be reserved online with this form.
Attendees will receive 8 hour Certificate in First Responder Operations Level Spill Response.
Registration begins at noon on April 27 in the Event Center, Room B,
We have blocked a group of hotel rooms for April 27th and 28th at the following hotels that are within a couple of miles of AB Tech. Please note the cut-off date for reservations and prices for these rooms. Rooms are under the name “EHSI 2016 Safety Leadership Conference.”
- Double Tree Inn, 115 Hendersonville Road, Asheville, NC 28803 (828) 274-1800
- $139/room (plus tax). Cutoff date is April 8th. Reserve a room online
- Baymont Inn, 204 Hendersonville Road, Asheville, NC 28803 (828) 274-2022
- State room rate of $89.24/room (plus tax) Cutoff date is March 27th.
Directions to the A-B Tech Event Center
- Coming off of Biltmore Ave: Turn RIGHT (if headed south) or LEFT (if headed north) onto Hospital Drive
- At the first light, make a LEFT onto Victoria Road
- Go straight through the light at the top of the hill (Mission Hospital entrance on the left)
- Go past the A-B Tech sign for Roberson Building (on right), Hemlock Building (on right).
- Immediately after Hemlock Building, on the right will be the Smith McDowell House.
- Just past the Smith McDowell House, make a RIGHT at the A-B Tech sign for “Coman Student Center, Maple, Chestnut”….etc.
- Go up the small hill and the Event Center will be in front of you.
- Go past the Event Center and park either in the parking garage or the lot just beyond the entrance to the parking garage
- Exit the parking garage on the Event Center side, or walk up from the parking lot between the Event Center and parking garage
- Under the cover walkway are 2 double doors; enter the doors on the right
A-B Tech Address:
340 Victoria Road
Asheville, NC 28801
Event Center Information: (828) 398-7901
For updated information on inclement weather/school closing/delayed opening/general information:
(828) 398-7900 or www.abtech.edu
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Anne McKay at (828) 674-1767 or email her at email@example.com.
The mission of the Environmental Health and Safety Institute is to assist the NC community colleges in their pursuit of safe and healthy workplaces. EHSI currently provides safety training, inspections and air quality testing.