The placement test is important and can have a major impact on the cost of education and how long it takes a student to complete his/her program. It is strongly recommended that all students spend time reviewing before taking the placement test.
Please read the Blue Ridge Community College "Preparing for the ACCUPLACER Placement Test" brochure for information resources.
An Application for Admission must be submitted before scheduling your placement test. Students with disabilities who require special arrangements and/or accommodations should contact Maggie Faulkner, Director of Disability Services by phone (828) 694-1813 or email at least two weeks prior to the date of test. Accommodations cannot be provided without prior approval from the Disability Services office.
Click the links below for more information:
Appointment for Test
All students should meet with an Admissions Counselor before signing up for a Pre-Enrollment Placement Test. Please call the BRCC Student Services Department at (828) 694-1800 to make an appointment to meet with an Admissions Counselor.
You must bring a photo ID to the testing session. No one will be allowed to test without a Photo ID.
Information for Day of Test
Bring a photo ID and know your social security number. Everything else needed for testing will be provided. Calculators, dictionaries, or other aids are not allowed.
Come to the test session well rested, prepared to do your best, and arrive at least 10 minutes before the scheduled time.
The only electronic devices allowed during testing sessions are those that have been approved for use by the Office of Disability Services. Cell phones must be turned off during the test session. Students found violating the no electronic use policy will be removed and not allowed to complete the scheduled test session.
BRCC uses ACCUPLACER, which is an adaptive untimed test administered on a computer. All questions on the placement test are multiple choice. There is not a writing section on the BRCC pre-enrollment placement test. Test session last up to approximately two and a half hours depending on the number of test section required based on your program of study.
After you complete the test, your Placement Test Summary Form will be available in Student Services where you will meet with a counselor for an explanation of your scores and course placement.
If you have questions about the test, feel free to schedule an appointment with a counselor in Student Services.
Resources for Test Preparation
The following links are for resources that will assist in the preparation for the pre-enrollment placement test:
Accuplacer Sample Test (pages 1-6 only)
YouTube.com (Search for “Accuplacer”)
A student wishing to retake any part of BRCC's official placement test for any reason is allowed only one retest attempt in each of the subject areas. Students requesting a retest in a particular area will be charged a fee for each area in which a retest is desired. Fees are set annually by the College Trustees. Once the student has paid for the retest, he/she may receive a retest during a regularly schedule official placement test session. The student will be placed in a course according to the better of the two test scores.
A student may be allowed to retest at his/her discretion in any of all of the subject areas assessed (Sentence Skills, Reading, Arithmetic, and Elementary Algebra) following their initial placement test based on the following guidelines:
- A student who chooses to retest must complete a Retest Request Form and submit it to an Admissions Counselor.
- Students must pay $5.00 per test unit. Each subject area constitutes a unit. An entire test would be four units.
- Retests must be taken during regularly scheduled placement test dates and times.
- Retest fees must be paid in advance to the BRCC cashier. The paid receipt and Retest Request Form must be returned to an Admissions Counselor who will register the student for a retest. An Admissions Counselor may be reached at (828) 694-1800.
- Initial tests and retests include the ACCUPLACER taken at either BRCC campus or through a BRCC high school program (Career and College Promise).
- Students are allowed one retest per subject area per year. Students may retest after one year at no cost.
Test scores expire after three years if developmental coursework has not started.
Placement Test Waiver Policy
Students may waive the placement testing requirements under the following conditions:
- Documentation of acceptable SAT or ACT scores: To be enrolled directly into first-level curriculum English or Math courses, a student must have a minimum score of 500 on the applicable (Writing and Critical Reading or Mathematics) sections of the SAT, or minimum of 18 on ACT English and 21 on ACT Reading, or minimum of 22 on ACT Mathematics. SAT and ACT examinations must have been taken within the preceding three years.
- Results of ACCUPLACER tests taken at another institution within the preceding three years and that meet the BRCC cutoff scores will waive placement testing. Other assessments that can be used to determine college readiness are ASSET, Compass, PLAN, and PSAT. Scores required for college readiness for all assessments may be obtained in the Student Services division.
- Transfer credit (grade C or better) received from a regionally accredited institution for first-level curriculum English, Math, and/or CIS 110 will be accepted in lieu of placement testing. Developmental level courses may be considered for transfer credit if taken at a North Carolina Community College. The student must submit an official transcript to receive transfer credit and to officially waive the need for placement testing.
- For certificate programs without developmental prerequisites, testing may be waived based on a passing score on the NC Competency Test, Test of General Educational Development, or Iowa Test of Basic Skills.
Request a copy of Placement Test Scores
To request that an official copy placement of the test scores to be sent to colleges and universities, complete the Placement Test Scores Request Form. There is no fee for this request.